This European literature review of more than 130 studies contained research that examined the effects of mobile phones and the use of other communication devices on driving. Authors examined a wide variety of studies that explored the following topics:
- driving performance impaired by talking on a phone;
- the use of hands-free devices versus hand-held devices;
- driving performance and impairments with using a phone to text;
- the prevalence of cell phone use among young and adult drivers; and,
- legislation in both Europe and the US regarding cell phone use while driving.
Authors concluded that while there is currently an abundance of research on the topic, more is work is needed to further prevention efforts, particularly in regard to legislation and education programs.
Kircher, K., Patten, C., & Ahlström, C. (2011). Mobile telephones and other communication devices and their impact on traffic safety: a review of the literature. Statens väg-och transportforskningsinstitut.